Sliding patio doors and bi-fold patio doors are two of the most popular door systems that people have installed in their homes and offices. These door systems are very stylish and they improve the home and office environment in many ways. They allow for more light and oxygen to enter indoors. They also allow people to easily move from room to room. When the weather becomes hot or humid, these doors can be shut close so that proper air-conditioning can be utilized efficiently.
For privacy issues, these doors keep excess noise from entering rooms as they are composed of material that is capable of shutting out even the loudest of sounds. Owning one of these door systems is truly advantageous to say the least. The only problem you may have is choosing which one is ideal for your home or office.
Here is a buyer’s guide that may help you in choosing the right sliding door for your home.
When choosing between sliding and bi-fold patio door systems, you should know the difference between the two. Their main difference is the space that you get with their openings. If you require a maximum opening space to your patio, you may want to get a Bi-fold patio door; however, if you wish to have limited opening space, the sliding patio door is the door system for you.
How to choose the ideal door system
Both door systems come in various materials such as wood, aluminum, and steel. Here are the differences:
- Pros- This material is almost zero maintenance.
- Cons- Can be a bit costly.
- Pros- Very affordable.
- Cons- Requires maintenance because wood naturally rots.
- Pros- Lasts very long and is stronger than wood.
- Cons- Prone to warping and chipping.
- Pros- Lasts very long.
- Cons- Prone to rust.
When you buy any of these patio door systems, you must be aware that you need to pick what kind of glass the door system will come with. Most sliding patio doors and bi-fold patio doors come with tempered glass. For those unaware of this, tempered glass is good because if it shatters it breaks into little squares which will not cut any person. Several options of glassing that you can have are:
- Double pane glassing- Standard glassing for most sliding patio doors and bi-fold patio doors.
- Triple pane glassing- Glassing is thicker than double pane glassing.
- Clear/clear glassing- Glassing which allows for more sunlight to enter your home or office.
- Insulated glassing- Glassing that is perfect for blocking the sun’s rays from penetrating your office or home.
- Laminated glass- Glassing so thick that it is perfect for security purposes.
Energy Star Rated Doors
In owning a sliding patio door or a bi-fold patio door, experts recommend that you buy a door that is Energy Star Rated. This means that the patio door has passed all the specifications and testing that will ensure safety from the rays of the sun and other equally harmful substances.